Wednesday 30 December 2009

The Story So far....continued

Whilst looking for pictures of my vine today, I was reminded of just how much my garden had developed over the last 10 years. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera when I started, so my pictures start just 5 years ago. Up to that time, most of the work involved digging up brambles and other weeds, and generaly tidying up.

In early spring 2005 I tackled my biggest project, which involved extending the flowerbeds by taking up slabs and putting in log roll edging to the beds. I also installed a rose arch, 2 lavender hedges (either side of the the path), and some box hedging.

Here are some pictures I took around that time:

1. Part way through the project - you can see some of the log roll in place, but I have not yet started on the right-hand side of the garden. The paving slabs were very heavy, so I wasn't able to move them far, which is why there are so many in the centre of the picture.





2. This is the project just after I had completed it. The flower bed on the right has been extended by removing a row of slabs and edging the bed with log roll. A row of tiny lavender plants has been planted in each bed to form a hedge either side of the central path, and a short box hedge has been added to the end of the bed. the rose arch has been erected and I have planted a Rose "Mountain Snow" and a clematis "Constance" to grow over the arch. I disguised a pile of slabs with pots of tulips as a temporary measure, until I got help in moving them.



3. And just to prove I did eventually get rid of the paving slabs - this photo was taken in May 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment