Wednesday 6 January 2010

Bleak Midwinter

With snow and persistent frost for the last three weeks, with more to come, all I can do is enjoy the view from my window and hope for the best.

Today I worked from home, and was able to watch the birds feeding on my bird feeders - wood pigeon, starlings, blue tits, coal tits, great tits and a very acrobatic robin. Hopefully they will become regular visitors, and help to keep the insect pests down in the spring. I put out a range of food - fat feeders, niger seed, ordinary seed mix and a special insect seed mix, which is a clear favourite with the robin and coal tit. The starlings manage to utilise all the feeders, even those designed for very small birds. I don't mind - they are very lively and amusing birds.

I have two plants which are only borderline hardy, although they both survived the cold snap we had last year. The persistence of the cold weather this year is unusual, and I am concerned that I may not be so lucky this year. I have had the Trachelospermum Jasminoides for about seven years, and it has never shown signs of suffering from the frost. The other is a small New Zealand tree fern which still has its fronds and looks very decorative covered in snow or frost. I will keep my fingers crossed for them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment