Sunday 7 February 2010

More signs of spring

I didn't do any gardening this weekend, but I did take my camera out to photograph some early spring flowers which have bloomed, following a relatively mild week.

The hellebores are usually the first to flower, but I think they have been held back by the cold January weather. The first flowers have opened this week:
I love the variety of shape, colour and pattern you get with these oriental hybrids.

Another early flowerer is this shrub - Daphne Bholua "Jacqueline Postill". The flowers are small, but highly scented, and the shrub is evergreen and a lovely tall slim shape, so it fits my small front garden perfectly. I often see passers-by stop to smell the flowers.
I was surprised to see this camellia flower fully open. It was one of the lower flowers, sheltered from the worst of the weather. The shrub was already in the garden when I moved in, and is in a raised bed next to my little shed. The other buds on the camellia are still quite closed, or just showing a little colour.
Most of the flowers are just deep pink, but a few have this white blotchy effect. I think this is a natural variation, rather than a virus, because the bush is otherwise very healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment